Truck driving is a rewarding profession, particularly if you find a trucking company that best suits your needs and will help you reach your career goals. You don’t want to be hundreds of miles from home and realize you’ve chosen a company that doesn’t have your back. Asking the right questions can greatly increase the likelihood you will choose a company that will give you everything you need to have a long and prosperous trucking career. Here are some questions to consider:
- What is the pay and benefits package? These two should be looked at together. Benefits are just that, added benefits to the pay you are already guaranteed for doing your job. Things like a 401(k) savings plan, health and dental insurance, and paid vacation time are important. You should also be looking at how often the company gives pay raises.
- How often will I be able to get home? It’s very important to understand your trucking company’s home-time policy. You are going to be spending lots of time on the road. Knowing that you are with an employer that provides you with home time on a weekly basis, like EPES, can be a great comfort to you during long hauls.
- What type of equipment will I be using? You will be spending lots of time in your truck, so you want to ensure that your company will provide you with a tractor that is comfortable and one that you will be proud to drive.
- Do you slip-seat? Many drivers don’t want someone else using their truck when they take time off. If you fall into this category, look for a company that has a no slip-seat policy.
- What sorts of bonuses or incentives are offered? Find an employer who provides things like safety bonuses and awards for driver recognition. It is refreshing to be rewarded for going above and beyond the call of duty, and it’s important work for a company that truly appreciates your efforts.
EPES Transport System, Inc. is a trucking company that has more than eighty years’ experience, and we are happy to assist you in having a long and successful trucking career. Visit our website to learn more about our benefits package, safety bonuses, and top of the line equipment, and continue to follow our blog for more tips like these!